[Vm-dev] Building an Interpreter VM (4.10.2.2614) on OSX

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri May 24 22:01:15 UTC 2013

On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 02:35:08PM +0100, Frank Shearar wrote:

> Are there special steps to take building an Interpreter VM on OS X?
>
> http://build.squeak.org/job/SqueakTrunk-OSX/222/console shows a build
> failing because
>
> Undefined symbols:
>   "_sqMemoryBase", referenced from:
>       _primitiveMPEG3Open in Mpeg3Plugin.c.o
>       _primitiveMPEG3CheckSig in Mpeg3Plugin.c.o
> ld: symbol(s) not found
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[2]: *** [Mpeg3Plugin/so.Mpeg3Plugin] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [Mpeg3Plugin/CMakeFiles/Mpeg3Plugin.dir/all] Error 2
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> which kind've looks like the plugin actually compiled, but failed to link.
>
> frank

I don't have a Mac, but I seem to recall discussion about some compilers
needing to be told that it is OK to reference global variable declarations
from other compiled modules. Your error message looks as if it might be
that sort of problem. Of course you can just exclude this plugin from the
build as a quick workaround (feed --without-Mpeg3Plugin to the configure
script I think).