[Vm-dev] Powerful JIT optimization

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 23:30:48 UTC 2013

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 8:42 PM, Florin Mateoc <florin.mateoc at gmail.com>wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 7:09 AM, Florin Mateoc <florin.mateoc at gmail.com>wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Eliot,
>>>
>>> I am not sure if this is the right moment to bring this up, when you are
>>> so busy with the new garbage collector, but,
>>> since you were also talking about powerful new optimizations and this
>>> seems a very good one... I was toying with the
>>> idea before, but I did not have the right formulation for it - I was
>>> thinking of doing it on the image side, at the AST
>>> level and then communicating somehow with the VM (this aspect becomes
>>> moot if the JIT code is generated from Smalltalk),
>>> but now I stumbled upon it on the web and I think it would be better
>>> done inside the JIT. In Rémi Forax' formulation:
>>>
>>> "On thing that trace based JIT has shown is that a loop or function are
>>> valid optimization entry points. So like you can
>>> have an inlining cache for function at callsite, you should have a kind
>>> of inlining cache at the start of a loop."
>>>
>>> This was in the context of a blog entry by Cliff Click:
>>>
>>> http://www.azulsystems.com/blog/cliff/2011-04-04-fixing-the-inlining-problem
>>> The comments also contain other useful suggestions.
>>>
>>> And, the loop inlining cache could also specialize not just on the
>>> receiver block, but also on the types of the
>>> arguments (this is true for methods as well, but, in the absence of
>>> profiling information, loops are more likely to be
>>> "hot", plus we can easily detect nested loops which reinforce the
>>> "hotness")
>>>

>>  AFAICT this is subsumed under adaptive optimization/speculative
>> inlining.  i.e. this is one of the potential optimizations in an adaptive
>> optimizing VM.  Further, I also believe that by for the best place to do
>> this kind of thing is indeed in the image, and to do it at the
>> bytecode-to-bytecode level.  But I've said this many times before and don't
>> want to waste cycles waffling again.
>>
>>  thanks.
>> e.
>>
>>  Regards,
>>> Florin
>>>

>> --
>> best,
>> Eliot
>>
>> This is a bit like saying that we don't need garbage collection because
>> we can do liveness/escape analysis in the image. I think there is a place
>> for both sides
>>

>  No it's not.  If you read my design sketch on bytecode-to-bytecode
> adaptive optimisation you'll understand that it's not.  It's simply that
> one can do bytecode-to-bytecode adaptive optimisation in the image, and
> that that's a better place to do adaptive optimisation than in the VM.  But
> again I've gone into this many times before on the mailing list and I don't
> want to get into it again.
>

> Can't compiler technology (coupled with type inference) also be applied,
> in the image, to stack allocation/pretenuring/automatic pool allocation...
> to simplify the garbage collector and potentially obviating the need for a

I doubt it.  It already is used to e.g. create clean blocks.  This
certainly isn't enough of a win to be able to live with a poor GC.

> If it can, why doesn't the same argument apply?

It can't so the argument doesn't apply.

> And why did you implement inline caches in the VM if they were better done
> in the image?

Because they're not better-done in the image.  In fact, adaptive
optimization is heavily dependent on online caches.  That's where it gets
its type information form.

This doesn't feel like a productive conversation.

--
best,
Eliot