[Vm-dev] Re: [squeak-dev] Stack VM = Squeak VM?

gettimothy gettimothy at zoho.com
Wed Nov 27 19:53:02 UTC 2013

Cool.

One more thing to clarify: does running the simulator require having Bochs installed? (From what I can see, yes, but its not clear from your instructions here: http://www.mirandabanda.org/cogblog/build-image/  )

Finally, here is my game-plan.

1. I am going to finish my overview of the Blue Book Object Memory etc and NOT go into a study of the details in the last chapters of part 4--I will refer back to it when needed to understand a specific situation.
2. Get Bochs running on a 32 bit capable slackware linux
   (My bochs install on my 32 bit capable Slackware dies because of a bug in binutils-22. Slackware has a new 14.1 release out with the updated binutils, so hopefully I can get squeak/bochs running together on linux. it installs fine on my pure 64 bit boot. chicken,egg...)
3  Verify that me not having installed Bochs is why I could install your Cog dev environment but not be able to launch the simulations.
4. I will then study the Stack VM and try to replicate what you did with Stack VM in 64 bits on Spur using the steps you posted a few weeks ago:

Read the latest two articles on my blog (A Spur gear for Cog & Lazy Become).
 Make a VMMaker image (see e.g. Cog Blog :: Building a Cog Development Image).
 Then read SpurMemoryManager, /especially/ its class comment.
Then read its subclasses Spur32BitMemoryManager (functional) & Spur64BitMemoryManager (completely untested).
Then read SpurBootstrap32.
 Try and create a 32-bit Spur image and run it.
Then try and implement SpurBootstrap64.
Try and create a 64-bit Spur image and run it.

Sound like a plan?

thx.

tty

---- On Wed, 27 Nov 2013 11:21:19 -0800 Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote ----