[Vm-dev] benchmarking and recent results

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 21:11:10 UTC 2013

Hi Clément,

On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 1:57 AM, Clément Bera <bera.clement at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> Stefan, you can integrate in SMark. There some classes that are here only
> for the jenkins, I don't know if you need them. See the image in the
> jenkins job
> I'll have a look at the benchs of Computer Language Benchmarks Game.
>
> Stef, I need a machine reserved for benchs, we are working with Esteban on
> setting up one with one of our old mac.
>
> Eliot, I agree that DeltaBlue and Richards were definitely the most useful
> in the suite I have. I can put them in the Cog repository but they rely on
> SMark, Stefan Mar's framework to bench. I don't know if you want to add
> this dependency in Cog.

Yes, please, go ahead.  I can integrate them into the Shootout benchmarks I
have and break the dependency if I need to.

> By the way I keep working on the Sista, but with 1 or 2 day of work per
> week it will take me a while to get back the infrastructure to work (I mean
> bytecode -> SSA -> bytecode). The bytecode to SSA decompiler doesn't
> support your blockClosure implementation and there's even more work in the
> SSA to bytecode generator. When it'll work I'll contact you back for the
> new bytecode set.

OK, great.  Don't worry; these things take time :-)  I've waited three
years to start work on Spur.  As long as we get there in the end :-).
 Software seems to be an area where people keep claiming the end is nigh
and a revolution is afoot.  But cobol is still here ;-).

Ryan, I will have a look at Splay and ParserCombinator. There will
> definitely be a huge difference between the Spur version and the current
> version of Cog in these benchs.

 i do hope so :-)

--
best,