[Vm-dev] cog svn tracker setup

Camillo Bruni camillobruni at gmail.com
Tue Oct 8 18:28:01 UTC 2013

I spent some time setting up a git tracker for the cog svn repository.
This should help us reducing the merge errors for the pharo-vm, when picking changes
from eliot's branch on http://squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog

It takes a prepared zip with the proper meta information for git-svn from here
	http://files.pharo.org/vm/src/cog-git-svn-track.zip
and updates the separate repositories from the github squeakvm project
	http://github.com/squeakvm/

Currently this is a very fragile setup, since git and svn:externals are not very
compatible. However, it does the trick for our purposes.

The following steps are run on a daily basis:

https://ci.inria.fr/pharo/view/Helper/job/Cog-SVN-Tracker/

1. update both of the commonly shared plugin directories
2. fetch on the latest svn version on the 'svn' for cog
3. load the plugin repositories in with 'git subtree' on the 'master' branch on cog
4. merge the 'master' branch with the 'svn' branch
5. push

Steps to do
- setup a proper mergepoint somewhere in the past of pharo-vm (that requires git black magic)
- pharo-vm has to merge with the latest changes from cog (that requires VM knowledge)