[Vm-dev] Re: Issue 132 in cog: Build Fails on OpenBSD. ucontext is not available

cog at googlecode.com cog at googlecode.com
Wed Oct 9 07:42:46 UTC 2013

Comment #2 on issue 132 by riverdu... at gmail.com: Build Fails on OpenBSD.
ucontext is not available
http://code.google.com/p/cog/issues/detail?id=132

Hi

> Hang on.  I don't think that's the problem.  I *think* someone found out
> how to install a ucontext.h for FreeBSD.   Is that the case?

That isn't the point.
Firstly we're talking OPENBSD, not FREEBSD which is vastly different.
Secondly, its not about "can i get this to work with my favorite distro".
ucontext is a long deprecated library that makes use of long deprecated c
functions. Using it goes against best practices.
If it weren't for certain applications/distros, ucontext would be dead a
long time ago.
The idea is to replace the deprecated library with something that doesn't
use deprecated c functions and is more portable.

> (meant to post this yesterday; the draft has sat there, but it's still a
> valid question)

Best
Dusty