[Vm-dev] [squeak-dev] VM download location confusion

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Oct 16 13:51:09 UTC 2013

Esteban,

I do not know if the Mac Pharo VM is suitable for running Squeak, and I
cannot say if this has ever been tested. It is definitely not suitable
for running older Squeak images, and it would be hard to recommend it
for general use without some assurance that it has been tested. If you
can provide an update on this, it would be helpful (I do not have a Mac,
so I cannot help you with this).

The interpreter VM is used for running images that cannot be run on Cog
(i.e. image format 6504 images). Since three years, all interpreter VMs
have been able to do this. The interpreter VM for Mac is now so old that
it causes problems for people who expect the VM to "just work". This affects
Mac users who want to run Etoys, Scratch, etc.

In your earlier message, you said "I've ensured that all the changes I made
to the VM are also accessible to everybody that is willing to take it". The
problem is with "everybody that is willing to take it". That is the job of
the VM platform maintainer, and currently it is not being done.

Dave