[squeak-dev] Re: [Vm-dev] Mac VM Maintainer resignation (for the general purpose VM, not for PharoVM)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Oct 19 13:10:45 UTC 2013

On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 01:01:12AM -0700, Casey Ransberger wrote:
> (CC squeak-dev, this concerns many people there too.)
>
> Thanks Esteban, I know how this stuff goes.
>
> So we're without a maintainer on the Macintosh platform, and I assume that
> also means iOS (where we're unwanted anyway, so no big loss there.)

Just to be clear, most Squeak users on Mac are using the Cog VM that
is provided by Eliot, and readers of the VM list will be aware that Eliot
is extremely active in VM development lately (be sure to take a look
at http://www.mirandabanda.org/cogblog/ if you have an interest in
this area).

Esteban is also continuing his VM work in the areas of most interest
to him, as he explained. I would encourage you to try Esteban's VM
build with Squeak and see how it works. I don't have a Mac, but I am
curious to know.

We do have shortfalls in our processes for updating the upstream
trunk for the VM, and we have shortfalls in maintaining Mac and
Windows platforms. These are not new issues, and it is clearly an
area that we should improve. But don't be alarmed, the interpreter
VM for Mac is no more or less outdated today than it was last week.