[Vm-dev] OS X Mavericks & cog tickers

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 00:02:04 UTC 2013

On 25 October 2013 01:43, John McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 7:38 PM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
>

>> On 24-10-2013, at 4:34 PM, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >

>> > (e) Cog uses heartbeat timer to interrupt interpreter at regular time
>> periods
>> > what can be done, i think it to suppress heartbeat, during
>> relinquishProcessorForMicroseconds execution.
>> > but that won't buy much, unless we increase the time period to sleep to
>> be times larger than heartbeat cycle (both are 1ms).
>>
>> If I understood, the timer coalescing can push timers around to produce
>> spurts of activity followed by quiescence; this results in better overall
>> power performance. It *might* cause problems with a high-frequency
>> heartbeat.
>>

> You pick the "drain my battery real fast" option.... Also in the past
> known as "higher performance" to remove the delay in the morphic polling
> loop.

yeah, we should get rid of that polling thing and Delay, instead make it
wait on semaphore..

P.S. what i missing on BSD systems is good analogy to
WaitForMultipleEvents() function which available
in Windows kernel. It is far superior to select() and poll().
i don't know, if situation is improved in this are since last time i
checked.

>> tim
>> --
>> tim Rowledge; tim at rowledge.org; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
>> The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

> John M. McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com>
> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd. Twitter: squeaker68882

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.