[Vm-dev] OS X Mavericks & cog tickers

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Fri Oct 25 00:55:30 UTC 2013

On Thu, 24 Oct 2013, Eliot Miranda wrote:

> Can we please stop confusing the conversation and concentrate on the VM's bogus idle behaviour.  What we should eb concentrating on now is arranging that the VM can enter a fully quiescent idle state that it will exit when
> - i/o is possible (which includes input events, there are a form of "i" in "i/o"
> - a signal is delivered (except this could also be a variation of the above)
> - the next delay is due to fire
> - a callback has occurred
> I think I'm right in thinking that nothing else can happen that justifies the VM leaving its idle state.
>
> Note that in the VisualWorks VM it is the scheduler that enters the idle state whenever there is no runnable process, and hence the idle process is conspicuously absent.  And a very nice solution that is too.

Andreas made the EventVM[1][2][3][4] based on the Interpreter. And
something similar was done for CogDroid[5], which is a event-driven
StackVM.

Levente

[1] http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2009-November/003385.html
[2] http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2009-November/003437.html