[Vm-dev] VM Maker: VMMaker.oscog-eem.363.mcz

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 14:55:14 UTC 2013

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 4:14 PM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 09:50:14PM +0000, commits at source.squeak.org wrote:
> >
> > Eliminate bytesPerWord in favour of wordSize (Smalltalk wordSize is
> > the model here).  wordSize is shorter.  However, still generate
> > BytesPerWord for wordSize since e.g. mpegtype.h has a parameter
> > named WordSize.
> >

> FYI a number of constants including BytesPerWord and BaseHeaderSize
> are replaced by message sends in VMM trunk as part of the changes
> that put this all under compile time control (as opposed to defining
> at code generation time). It would probably be good to apply these
> changes to oscog at some point also, although I cannot realistically
> offer to put any time into it right now.

Agreed.  I was reluctant to do this earlier.  Alas while it might allow one
to run e.g. a 64-bit ObjectMemory alongside a 32bit ObjectMemory, the
pervasive use of class and pool variables means its not possible to run an
ObjectMemory against a SpurMemoryManager.  I'd rather change the code base
as little as possible than risk breaking things, so I'm happy to live with
e.g. the compact class indices staying in class/pool vars.

BTW, David, I implemented
NewObjectMemory>>eeInstantiateClassIndex:format:numSlots: (in
VMMaker.oscog-eem.369) which needs to set the Size4Bit.  It contains a
comment asking you to check the code :-).  I wonder if, in your copious
free time, you might do just that?  No hurry, and indeed I hope to render
ObjectMemory and NewObjectMemory obsolete asap :-).

--
best,
Eliot