[Vm-dev] image format suggestion

Jecel Assumpcao Jr. jecel at merlintec.com
Fri Sep 13 22:45:44 UTC 2013

.

> I actually implemented this in VisualWorks in the mid 2000's.  It is very simple
> and works well.  I'll put it on the list.  I much prefer it to an ad-hoc scheme
> such as the one Jecel suggests.  Much less maintennance effort.

This is included in the Self VM (it can accept either a .snap or a
.snap.gz file) and I thought I had also seen it in Squeak. I know that I
have tested the compression rate of images from both Squeak and Little
Smalltalk (which does use an odd encoding instead of memory dump) with
gzip and, if I remember correctly, the results were better than my own
scheme by a small factor.

The advantage of my suggestion was a single image format for both 32 and
64 bit VMs, which you don't get with compressed memory dumps. In the
project where I used that encoding I was bootstrapping a Smalltalk with
nothing more than an assembler, so that alternative was simpler than
writing my own version of gzip. That isn't an issue for Squeak, of
course.

In another email, Eliot Miranda wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 1:48 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> > A slightly related idea is "perm space" à la VisualWorks, which makes a part
> > of the object memory read-only.
>
> Actually copy-on-write, with writes minimised by avoiding garbage collecting
> permSpace unless one does a truly global GC.

If a VM can load more than one image (an interesting thing to do with
multicores) then this space can be shared among them to avoid multiple
copies filling up the machine's RAM. And you can save it to a separate
file on disk to make images smaller (just like the .sources file is only
there to make the multiple .changes you have on a disk be smaller than
they would otherwise be).

In fact, I suggested some applications of this feature in
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/584

-- Jecel