[Vm-dev] [Pharo-dev] [NB] Trying to implement a ReadStream on NBExternalAddress

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 21:56:04 UTC 2013

Alignment apart, one thing that could be useful is the ability to pass the
address of a byte array, offsetted at will.
For example, I have an array of unboxed double complex
(real0,imaginary0,real1,imaginary1,...)
And I want to copy the imaginary part only in another location.
Blas provides enough methods for that, I just need to pass
- ByteArray adress+8 bytes (+1 sizeof double)
- half array length
- and a stride of 16 bytes (2 size of double).
In most Smalltalk dialects, this is currently only possible with External
Heap, but not with Smalltalk managed memory...
OK, some guru will tell me to do it with BitBlt, but ther must be something
easier...

I feel like this would open many possibilities for interpreting low level
languages
(like invoking some primitives on emulated memory blob).