[Vm-dev] [HowTo] Compile CogVM for Windows 7 using MinGW/MSYS

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Thu Sep 26 08:06:50 UTC 2013

Hi Stephane

Am 26.09.2013 um 09:05 schrieb stephane ducasse <stephane.ducasse at gmail.com>:

> I do not understand what your objectives are.

This mail just wanted to list
the different ways to build a VM that are currently
used to make everyone aware of what other parties
do.
  The starting point was that, from simply starting off
the squeakvm site, it was a bit tricky to get to
compile a VM for on your own. And hence Marcel provided this
short tutorial.
 Eliot just wants to build the Cog VM in a way he has not
to put too much effort into learning the build environment
(did I understand you the right way, Eliot?).

> Our objective was to offer to the community an automatically build set of vms that do not require
> to be a guru to compile.

And you achieved that! :)

> If people want to use our jenkins farm they simply can (just ask for an account and this is it).

Thank you for that great offer!

> We will continue improving it and use it to control the complexity. We are working on building a benchmark server.
> Now if people prefer to do it manually, they also can, we just do not want.

Understandable. There are always some small thing you just want to change,
and that is the point where one might want to compile manually. For
example, in Marcel's case, he just needed a Windows VM that has no
memory-cap of 512 MB, and he just wanted to compile a Cog VM with
more Memory. Setting up an automated build for this small task
seems overkill to me.
  However, in most other cases, continuous integration is clearly the
way to go!

Best
	-Tobias