[Vm-dev] [HowTo] Compile CogVM for Windows 7 using MinGW/MSYS

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 11:05:22 UTC 2013

On 26 September 2013 10:06, Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de> wrote:

> Understandable. There are always some small thing you just want to change,
> and that is the point where one might want to compile manually. For
> example, in Marcel's case, he just needed a Windows VM that has no
> memory-cap of 512 MB, and he just wanted to compile a Cog VM with
> more Memory. Setting up an automated build for this small task
> seems overkill to me.
>   However, in most other cases, continuous integration is clearly the
> way to go!

Ah, this one. Sounds familiar.
I was also arguing that everyone should be able to do it by building own VM,
but people wanted simpler solution, so we ended up adding new option in
.ini file:

https://gitorious.org/cogvm/blessed/commit/341e6c2e150bcde80dfea6c890bab7745b2a6d44

like that you don't have to recompile the VM if you need different limit.

Btw, we (pharo developers) moved pharo vm sources to github (not gitorious
anymore),
not long ago, and we will continue development there [2].

Main difference is: merging .st sources with C sources,
so all VM sources now is in single repository, and no need to mess with MC
packages
etc.
It also simplifies a lot the commit & build process.

The gitorious sources will stay, since there is not only pharo people who
using them.

[1]
https://gitorious.org/cogvm/blessed/commit/341e6c2e150bcde80dfea6c890bab7745b2a6d44

[2]