Ways to build a VM (was: Re: [Vm-dev] [HowTo] Compile CogVM for Windows 7 using MinGW/MSYS)

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Mon Sep 30 07:56:25 UTC 2013

Am 26.09.2013 um 22:30 schrieb stephane ducasse <stephane.ducasse at gmail.com>:

>>> If people want to use our jenkins farm they simply can (just ask for an account and this is it).
>>
>> Thank you for that great offer!
>>
>>> We will continue improving it and use it to control the complexity. We are working on building a benchmark server.
>>> Now if people prefer to do it manually, they also can, we just do not want.
>>
>> Understandable. There are always some small thing you just want to change,
>> and that is the point where one might want to compile manually. For
>> example, in Marcel's case, he just needed a Windows VM that has no
>> memory-cap of 512 MB, and he just wanted to compile a Cog VM with
>> more Memory. Setting up an automated build for this small task
>> seems overkill to me.
>
> Tobias my point is that you can
> 	- copy a jenkins job :) there is even a button for that :)

I didn't know that! :)

> 	- second you can just take a process of a build and reuse the CMake generattion made by igor so the process is **documented**
> 	and always exercised. So you do not have to set up a jenkins job but you can use the infrastructure put in place.
> 	At least I would not try to redo the work done by igor just use/modify/extend it
> 	 because I prefer to do something else with the time I can gain.

Yes, I understood that. I noticed that you all put effort into this.
And I certainly do not want to let that go unnoticed.

As a matter of fact, however, we have currently more than eight ways
to build a Squeak/Pharo VM, and for _everyone_ using either of them,
there is a high effort learning another one, and one as to make
a decision where to put ones effort, just like you said, where to
invest ones time.
  Basically, people like (but not limited to) Eliot or Tim have to
decide whether to improve the VM itself or invest time learning a
different build system from what they are using now, notwithstanding
that a new one even might be better/more efficient/cleaner etc….

Long story short, _I_ think there are too many ways to build a VM
for a newbee to decide which to use.

Best
	-Tobias