[Vm-dev] Scratch plugins for Mac & linux

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Apr 3 22:45:30 UTC 2014

On Wed, Apr 02, 2014 at 05:58:18PM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:

> OK, here?s a problem I hope someone can help with.
>
> The Scratch plugins (that is
> ScratchPlugin
> CameraPlugin
> UnicodePlugin
> WeDoPlugin)
> are not integrated into the SVN tree properly.

I added a new Mantis entry 7815 "Complete the integration of Scratch plugins for all platforms and VMs"
http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7815

This is linked to the original Mantis 7654: "Add Scratch plugins CameraPlugin and ScratchPlugin to standard VMs"

> trunk/unix has all four; trunk/riscos has ScratchPlugin. trunk/Mac OS has none of them. trunk/win32 has just the CameraPlugin.
> The Cog tree (which isn?t currently viewable via the web, by the way) appears not to have any of them for unix nor Mac OS - the win32 directory is the same as for the plain interp and so is the RISCOS tree.

Whatever is in SVN trunk should be usable in oscog without modification.
Tim, please nag Eliot to copy any missing files from SVN trunk to Cog and
add the plugins to the Cog build. They should all compile without any problem.

> It would be ever so nice if someone with the ability to do Mac builds could sort this out for both the plain & cog trees. I can?t do that part since I have no facility for doing vm development on a mac. I can try the unix bit on my Pi, of course, albeit v e r y  s l o w l y .

We do not have a maintainer for the Mac platform for the upstream trunk
and Cog branches. We are probably overdue for a discussion on what to
do about that. I think that Craig Latta recently expressed an interest
in helping, which would be great. That said, we really need to find someone
willing to do the boring and thankless work of keeping the upstream sources
in good shape, dealing with Apple developer oddities, and so forth, and
I'm not sure if Craig was volunteering for that. At some point we really
do need to find someone to take it on.

We will certainly have a similar concern for the Windows platform, although
this seems to be less urgent concern because Ian and Eliot have both providing
updated Windows VMs.

Dave