[Vm-dev] VM Maker: VMMaker.oscog-eem.662.mcz

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Apr 4 12:20:43 UTC 2014

On Thu, Apr 03, 2014 at 06:24:03PM -0700, gettimothy wrote:

> Thanks Dave.
>
> What is the path of code..starting from Eliot uploads an update to Cog or VMMaker.oscog.
>
> Does it look like this: Eliot->source.squeak.org/VMMaker->Jenkins->SVN

No, the two Jenkins jobs are not a part of the VM development process, and they
are not intended to produce VM source or executables for general distribution.
They are just an automated check for the current health of the sources, and a
check to make sure that someone who wants to build a VM can do so starting with
a clean Squeak image.

> Or is it something else?
>
> More importantly, is there someplace where this is documented?

As far as the Jenkins jobs, I suppose that you can think of the scripts as a
form of online documentation. I tried to make them as readable as I could,
and you can open them in a workspace and evaluate them step by step.

The script for the interpreter VM is:
  http://build.squeak.org/job/InterpreterVM/ws/VMUnixBuild.st

The script for Cog is:
  http://build.squeak.org/job/CogVM/ws/VMCogUnixBuild.st