[Vm-dev] Camera sig fault on 64 bits machines.

gettimothy gettimothy at zoho.com
Thu Apr 10 16:51:54 UTC 2014

---- On Thu, 10 Apr 2014 09:08:30 -0700 David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote ----

>r.e. SqueakSSL: The plugin should currently be identical (I hope) in all
>branches of the VM. Both the interpreter VM (trunk) and the Pharo VM use
>CMake for the unix build, so you should not experience the libtool
>difficulties when working with either of them.
>IIRC, Ian Piumarta  originally created the CMake build for Squeak VM back in 2009 largely
>because of problems with libtool, particularly related mixed 32 and 64 bit

>libraries. CMake seems to take care of the problem nicely.

Thx David

A couple of questions...

1. Regarding CMake Isn't Eliot migrating more towards a Gnu style build tree from CMake (that is what I have inferred from emails he has addressed to Tim R)?

2. If it is going to be Gnu-ified (which I do prefer) would separate build trees for 64 bit, 32 bit and 64/32 hybrid build trees make sense for simplifying and isolating problematic build issues?
      (If I may add, for the SqueakSSL, I reduced the source to the minimum to get the unixbuild to compile and run--AsynchFilePlugin \ B2DPlugin \ BitBltPlugin \FilePlugin \SocketPlugin \MiscPrimitivePlugin
       and a very slimmed down source tree that is actually easy to understand--see my blog post: http://timmydosmalltalk.wordpress.com/2014/04/08/first-take-on-the-minimum-plugins-needed-for-a-functioning-image/)

Regardless,we will git-r-done. Its going to take me many more brain cycles to get good at this stuff, so it will take time.