[Vm-dev] CMakeMaker--whaddya think?

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 16:33:40 UTC 2014

> Hey!
>
> On 04/16/2014 01:22 PM, gettimothy wrote:
>
>> Hi Estaban,
>>

>>  >>Is a bit frustrating so I will say it again: CMakeMaker already does
>> that. And it does it for *any* vm flavour (we are generating pharovm
>> because that’s what we are using, but the builders for cog, stack and
>> even interpreter are there, and working… bah the interpreter version
>> needs >>some work).
>>   >>Nothing prevents you to copy the pharo flavour and adapt it as
>> squeak flavour.
>>   >>Nothing prevents you to do the same for newspeak.
>>
>>   >>cheers,
>>   >>Esteban
>>
>>   >>ps: Thanks Dave for noticing :)
>>
>> I did not know that project existed;  of course I will start with that
>> and with the existing Interpreter stuff Dave mentioned.
>>
>> Its is refreshing to know my instincts on how to approach the project
>> where correct! Heck, we even came up with the same name for it!
>>

> Just wanted to mention that at 3DICC we are in the process of moving over
> to the Pharo build system for our client side (OSX and Windows) VMs.
>
> Just a reflection: It was quite easy to get started, finding a proper
> place to add 3DICC subclasses, adding in methods for our plugins etc. I got
> distracted by other things but now I am picking up our OSX build again so
> soon we should be using it for real.
>
> And also, it builds fine with clang! Thanks Esteban :)
>
> regards, Göran

BEWARE: it builds fine, but the resulting VM behaves weirdly : see
https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/11130/Special-byte-code-sequences-mess-up-the-stack-of-VM

Either we are back to disecting correct set of gcc/clang flags
Or we shall revert to an older gcc (4.2.1 works for me OSX 10.6.8 Xcode
3.2.6)

Nicolas