[Vm-dev] Maturity of the pharo CMake build process?

gettimothy gettimothy at zoho.com
Wed Apr 23 16:24:31 UTC 2014

Hi Folks,

I am now working with the CMakeVMMaker on Pharo and am curious as to the maturity of the code before I tackle some build issues I am having with it.
Please note that I am NOT looking for an answer to this specific build issue--I can trace that down and fix it just fine. I merely need a sense of the community's sense of the tools robustness so I can keep that in mind as future issues come up.

I am currently using the source tree from  git clone git://gitorious.org/cogvm/blessed.git
and running the generator.image in the blessed/image directory that is downloaded via the newImage.sh script.

It seems to run really well except I am getting what looks like a basic error

[ 95%] Building C object CMakeFiles/CogVM.dir/home/wm/usr/src/smalltalk/blessed/platforms/unix/vm/sqUnixMain.c.o
In file included from /home/wm/usr/src/smalltalk/blessed/platforms/unix/vm/sqUnixMain.c:41:0:
/home/wm/usr/src/smalltalk/blessed/platforms/Cross/vm/sqSCCSVersion.h:17:54: fatal error: vmVersionInfo.h: No such file or directory
 #include "vmVersionInfo.h" // defines REVISION_STRING

when running this script:

CogUnixConfig new
 addExternalPlugins: #( FT2Plugin );
 addInternalPlugins: #( UnixOSProcessPlugin );
 "generateForDebug;"
 generateSources; generate.

That missing #include threw up a red-flag for me (which I have not investigated) that made me question the tools maturity.

FWIW, I *really* like the approach of this tool. Having the configurations in their own objects makes perfect sense to me and it is nice to not have to deal with #IFNDEF foo #DEF bar  #UNLESS oops #THEN hack #ENDIF stuff.

The blessed/image/newImage.sh is a nice feature as well.

thanks for your time.

tty