[Vm-dev] Pharo/Squeak versions (using CogVM?) fail immediately when executed on AMD Athlon XP

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 01:52:10 UTC 2014

Hi Osl,

   follow the instructions in
http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog/build.win32x86/HowToBuild
but change the Makefiles (e.g. build.win32x86/squeak.cog.v3/Makefile) to
not provide the "-msse2" flag.  e.g. the lione

CFLAGS:= $(INCLUDEPATH) -msse2 -ggdb2 -mwindows -mthreads -mno-cygwin
-mwin32 \
    -mno-rtd -mms-bitfields -mno-accumulate-outgoing-args $(OFLAGS)
$(NOBUILTIN)

needs to read

CFLAGS:= $(INCLUDEPATH) -ggdb2 -mwindows -mthreads -mno-cygwin -mwin32 \
    -mno-rtd -mms-bitfields -mno-accumulate-outgoing-args $(OFLAGS)
$(NOBUILTIN)

But an Athlon is 15 years old now and very sloooooow.  You could pick up a
modern machine very cheaply. Can you not upgrade your hardware?

--
best,
Eliot