[Vm-dev] Simulator in Pharo 3

Stefan Marr smalltalk at stefan-marr.de
Fri Feb 14 22:55:46 UTC 2014

Hi Eliot:

On 14 Feb 2014, at 23:48, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
> In the StackInterpreterSimulator, the various #run… methods do unconditionally the initialization of stack pages and initial context.
> This looks wrong to me, especially since the comment of #runForNBytes: says that I should be able to use it repeatedly.
> I would move the initialization to #initializeInterpreter: in StackInterpreterSimulator and remove it from all the run methods. See [1].
>
> I agree.  This would be really nice.  But alas the stack zone must be alloca’ed when first entering the interpreter :-(.

My change is purely in the simulator. I doubt that it has any negative consequences. At least with my superficial understanding.

See https://github.com/smarr/pharo-vm/commit/114f5b3db0ff2185ca5eac0d033eb95b99f524cb#diff-b2529d6fc3563268fce5d2024df3143fL79

> I see this occasionally and don't understand the code well enough to fix it.  But it seems a false error.  if you proceed through the inconsistent value errors the system keeps on running.  Is there anyone out there who understands the BalloonPlugin well enough to fix it?  I’ve tweaked out some of the errors (and not broken anything) but it is not something I understand.

Same here, but I actually didn’t try to skip them.

Hope some people start using the simulator now and will report back.

Best regards
Stefan

--
Stefan Marr