[Vm-dev] Mill CPU

Jecel Assumpcao Jr. jecel at merlintec.com
Tue Feb 18 18:46:35 UTC 2014

D. Graham wrote:

> Just curious if anyone else in vm-dev has been looking at the Mill CPU?

Yes, it is very interesting to see what people who know what they are
doing can come up with when given the freedom to do so.

> One thing that caught my eye is the comparison to a stack machine
> architecture and was curious if this meshes with the stack vm?

The Belt is actually a FIFO machine rather than a LIFO (stack) machine,
but the two architectures have a lot in common. The Mill feature that
will probably help a Smalltalk VM the most is its ability to deal with
short basic blocks.

-- Jecel