[Vm-dev] building on Darwin (Mac Unix)

Craig Latta craig at netjam.org
Tue Jan 7 20:02:36 UTC 2014

Hi--

     Having isolated the Spoon VM changes[1], I'm testing them with the
latest VM sources (and Mac OS/devtools). As always, when I do this once
a year, I get errors... Am I doing something wrong?

-    I go to http://squeakvm.org/unix and follow the instructions.

-    svn co http://squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/trunk squeak-svn

-    cd platforms/unix; make

-    I get the following:

***

% make

[ -d bld ] || mkdir bld
[ -f bld/Makefile ] || ( cd bld; ../cmake/configure; )
-- Configuring squeak 4.10.2-2840 for i386-apple-darwin13.1.0
-- Using source directory
/Users/craig/me/behavior/spoon/processor/kernel/mainstream/squeak-svn/platforms/unix/src
-- Using CFLAGS -O3 -DNDEBUG -I/usr/local/include -L/usr/local/lib
!! Cannot optimise interpreter performance for GCC
!! FT2Plugin disabled
-- SocketPlugin: libsocket not found
-- SocketPlugin: libnsl not found
-- CameraPlugin: linux/videodev2.h not found
!! CameraPlugin disabled
!! DBusPlugin disabled
-- SqueakFFIPrims: any-libffi
-- SqueakFFIPrims: /usr/lib/libffi.dylib
-- Warning: Did not find file Compiler/Clang-ASM
-- MIDIPlugin: alsa/asoundlib.h not found
-- MIDIPlugin: libasound not found
!! MIDIPlugin disabled
-- RomePlugin: cairo-ft.h not found
!! RomePlugin disabled
-- UUIDPlugin: uuid.h not found
-- UUIDPlugin: sys/uuid.h not found
-- UUIDPlugin:
/System/Library/Frameworks/Kernel.framework/Headers/uuid/uuid/uuid.h
-- UUIDPlugin: libuuid not found
!! UnicodePlugin disabled
-- UnixOSProcessPlugin: /usr/lib/libpthread.dylib
-- WeDoPlugin: linux/hiddev.h not found
!! WeDoPlugin disabled
-- vm-display-fbdev: linux/fb.h not found
!! vm-display-fbdev disabled
-- vm-sound-ALSA: alsa/asoundlib.h not found
-- vm-sound-ALSA: libasound not found
!! vm-sound-ALSA disabled
-- vm-sound-NAS: audio/audio.h not found
-- vm-sound-NAS: libaudio not found
!! vm-sound-NAS disabled
-- vm-sound-OSS: alsa/asoundlib.h not found
-- vm-sound-OSS: libasound not found
!! vm-sound-OSS disabled
-- vm-sound-pulse: libpulse-simple not found
!! vm-sound-pulse disabled
-- vm-sound-Sun: sys/audioio.h not found
-- vm-sound-Sun: sun/audioio.h not found
-- vm-sound-Sun: stropts.h not found
!! vm-sound-Sun disabled
You have called ADD_LIBRARY for library ADPCMCodecPlugin without any
source files. This typically indicates a problem with your
CMakeLists.txt file
You have called ADD_LIBRARY for library BMPReadWriterPlugin without any
source files. This typically indicates a problem with your
CMakeLists.txt file
You have called ADD_LIBRARY for library B2DPlugin without any source
files. This typically indicates a problem with your CMakeLists.txt file
You have called ADD_LIBRARY for library DSAPrims without any source
files. This typically indicates a problem with your CMakeLists.txt file
You have called ADD_LIBRARY for library ZipPlugin without any source
files. This typically indicates a problem with your CMakeLists.txt file
You have called ADD_LIBRARY for library FFTPlugin without any source
files. This typically indicates a problem with your CMakeLists.txt file
You have called ADD_LIBRARY for library FloatArrayPlugin without any
source files. This typically indicates a problem with your
CMakeLists.txt file
You have called ADD_LIBRARY for library GeniePlugin without any source
files. This typically indicates a problem with your CMakeLists.txt file
You have called ADD_LIBRARY for library JPEGReaderPlugin without any
source files. This typically indicates a problem with your
CMakeLists.txt file
You have called ADD_LIBRARY for library Klatt without any source files.
This typically indicates a problem with your CMakeLists.txt file
You have called ADD_LIBRARY for library LargeIntegers without any source
files. This typically indicates a problem with your CMakeLists.txt file
You have called ADD_LIBRARY for library Matrix2x3Plugin without any
source files. This typically indicates a problem with your
CMakeLists.txt file
You have called ADD_LIBRARY for library MiscPrimitivePlugin without any
source files. This typically indicates a problem with your
CMakeLists.txt file
You have called ADD_LIBRARY for library SlangTestSupportPlugin without
any source files. This typically indicates a problem with your
CMakeLists.txt file
You have called ADD_LIBRARY for library StarSqueakPlugin without any
source files. This typically indicates a problem with your
CMakeLists.txt file
CMake Warning (dev) at CMakeLists.txt:162 (ADD_SUBDIRECTORY):
  The source directory

/Users/craig/me/behavior/spoon/processor/kernel/mainstream/squeak-svn/platforms/unix/npsqueak

  does not contain a CMakeLists.txt file.

  CMake does not support this case but it used to work accidentally and is
  being allowed for compatibility.

  Policy CMP0014 is not set: Input directories must have CMakeLists.txt.
 Run
  "cmake --help-policy CMP0014" for policy details.  Use the cmake_policy
  command to set the policy and suppress this warning.
This warning is for project developers.  Use -Wno-dev to suppress it.

-- Configuring done
CMake Error at bld/BitBltPlugin/CMakeLists.txt:14 (ADD_LIBRARY):
  Cannot find source file:

/Users/craig/me/behavior/spoon/processor/kernel/mainstream/squeak-svn/platforms/unix/src/plugins/BitBltPlugin/BitBltPlugin.c

  Tried extensions .c .C .c++ .cc .cpp .cxx .m .M .mm .h .hh .h++ .hm .hpp
  .hxx .in .txx

-- Build files have been written to:
/Users/craig/me/behavior/spoon/processor/kernel/mainstream/squeak-svn/platforms/unix/bld
make: *** [all] Error 1
%

***

     Is something wrong with the CMake stuff? Does no one actually use
this, and I should be doing something completely different? Mac OS
10.9.2, XCode 5.2.

     thanks,

-C

[1] http://tinyurl.com/p999omz