[Vm-dev] vmmaker and plugins on squeak for raspberry pi

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Jan 7 21:41:46 UTC 2014

On 07-01-2014, at 1:14 PM, Juan <smalltalker.marcelo at gmail.com> wrote:
>  I'm trying to develop squeak virtual machine on Raspberry pi.
>   I need to create a plugin to access the GPIO.
>  My problem is that the squeak of rbp not have the sources of the plugins
>  even brings vmmaker.
>
> Someone suggested   try to download sources from squeakvm.org.
> But i don't know wich version is for raspberry pi, none is indicated for rbp.
> will be riscos version ?

The normal OS for Pi is Raspbian, which is a Debian linux derivative, so use the unix build setup. RISC OS might actually be more fun for developing a GPIO interface, being less of a pain when it comes to low-level hardware access - but not of use to anywhere near as many people.

I already explained in a message to you Dec 27th where you can get the source code and the current VMMaker and instruction. Which parts aren’t making sense or are not working?

My description -

(Note to Dave - your swiki page - http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6177 - is a tad out of date though mostly ok. I suspect some mentions of the complications caused by having the plain interp and two oscog variants in the one repository might be good.)

http://source.squeak.org/VMMaker -> VMMaker (not VMMaker.oscog or VMMaker-oscog) BUT load it with the ‘update’ as described by Dave on http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6177 and then update it as described.

> 2) Has vmmaker dependencies?

Only as handled in the ‘update’ configuration; that handles all of it.

Described on  http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6177 as above

> 4) which is the order ?

n/a
>  5) which versions ?
n/a

tim
Never test for an error condition you don't know how to handle.