[Vm-dev] Warning, warning.. new danger!

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 13:02:48 UTC 2014

From:
http://sourceforge.net/p/fbc/bugs/659/

"The GCC devs decided to unilaterally change the Linux x86 ABI [1] [2] [3]
[4]. I'm not sure when this happened, but I think it first became a common
problem with GCC 4.1. Previously the Linux x86 ABI was the "SysV i386 ABI",
which stated that the stack is aligned to a 4-byte boundary on function
entry. GCC now assumes by default that the stack is aligned to a 16-byte
boundary. This is an very controversial issue with the GCC devs saying they
have changed the ABI, and many other people considering the SysV ABI to be
the real ABI and GCC to be buggy. GCC Bugzilla is full of flamewars. GCC
devs have said "GCC chose to change the *unwritten* standard for the ABI in
use for IA32 GNU/Linux" and "The ABI is undocumented; that is reality" [3]"

basically, it affects everything which dealing with generated code.
like JIT/FFI.

Now it explains why NB started crashing on never versions of ubuntu,
while worked well before.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.