[Vm-dev] Re: [Pharo-dev] some hand holding with git and the pharovm tree please...

Ronie Salgado roniesalg at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 00:15:21 UTC 2014

Hello,

I started working with the Pharo VM not too much ago, but the latest
bleeding edge Pharo VM code is placed on the GitHub hosted repository:
https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-vm

For cloning, you only need to do in the command line:
git clone https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-vm

For building the Pharo VM, you need to follow the instructions that are
better formatted in the GitHub page. I only have a bit of experience with
building it at Linux, where there is a small problem with the generated
build.sh script. From here I am going to explain a bit that problem, just
in case, assuming that you have already taken a look at the GitHub page or
the Readme in the repository.

The build.sh script tries to execute
../codegen-scripts/extract-commit-info.sh which is actually located in
../scripts/extract-commit-info.sh

When running that build.sh you could see an error about that path, then
start making the whole project, until hitting a compilation error. For
fixing that error, you need to run the ../scripts/extract-commit-info.sh
from the build directory path, so it generates the missing file. Then, you
can just run make. For subsequent builds, you don't have run
../scripts/extract-commit-info.sh all the time, unless you remove the whole
build directory to do a new clean build.

Greetings,
Ronie Salgado