[squeak-dev] Re: [Vm-dev] New Cog VMs available...

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 22:48:03 UTC 2014

Hi Nicolas,

On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 3:39 PM, Nicolas Cellier <

>> Hi Nicolas,
>>

>> On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 2:51 PM, Nicolas Cellier <
>> nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I've got a working solution ready for large int plugin.
>>> digitDiv and montgomery are broken due to the same bug // 256...
>>> I can publish if you want.
>>>

>> Forgive me but I went ahead and fixed it.  I just figured out that I
>> could have the code generator output asserts at every divide by a power of
>> two to check that the results agreed with signed shifts and hence easily
>> caught all the places where there was a bug.  I've also realised that I can
>> have the code generator output #if #else #endif code for remapOop:in: and
>> so not incur any overhead in Spur, which doesn't GC during primitives.
>>
>> --
>> best,
>> Eliot
>>

> No matter, I'll publish later because it is a good cleanup...

well, I should have communicated better.  We've duplicated work.  Anyway,
thanks and please take a look at my changes too :-).

Most of the divides are unsigned and OK (like // 8 and \\ 8 for counting
> number of bytes/bits in a shift)
> Only 3 places were broken: sub, div, and montgomery mul.
>
> Anyway, it happens that I cannot publish because there is a bug in my
> image (mostly an updated trunk image)...
> I'm currently stuck with ZipWriteStream(DeflateStream)>>updateHashAt:
> which tries to write at position 65537 in a buffer of length 65536
> Huh?

Ah, I've seen this recently too!  I think it's just a corrupted mcz
package.  Delete the package and download a fresh one and you could find
the bug evaporates.
--
best,
Eliot