[Vm-dev] How to think about -DNDEBUG on linux64 w/ 32 bit compat libs

gettimothy gettimothy at zoho.com
Sun Jul 6 15:49:03 UTC 2014

Hi Eliot.

Thank you very much for the detailed response.

 So the thing to do is work out why NoDbgRegParms is being defined as something that causes an error.

Perfect. You have shown me where to look and started me down the correct path. I am very appreciative of you spending the time on this.

I'm confused as to how the CMake stuff can interfere with this simple scheme.  t's just simple #defines after all...

Its not a CMake thing; the error happens with the mvm  script.  I spent some time isolating that flag as the trigger for the failed compilation.

static void addNewMethodToCache(sqInt classObj) NoDbgRegParms;

becomes

static void addNewMethodToCache(sqInt classObj) __attribute__ ((regparm (0)));

 This is completely new to me.  I understand the replacement of NoDbgRegParms with either an empty string (leaving a static function declaration) .

What weirds me out is the second case where I (think) I see the form x(y) becoming the form x(y)__attribute__(f(z))

I will hunt this down on Google when I get the config.h generation done on CMake.

Now where I know where to look and how to begin to think about it, I think I can solve this.

Thank you again for your time.

cheers.

tty