[Vm-dev] Re: [ANN] SqueakJS 0.2 released, now runs Etoys

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Jul 7 19:07:49 UTC 2014

On 05.07.2014, at 15:54, Chris Cunnington <brasspen at gmail.com> wrote:

> https://www.dropbox.com/s/kejm93khpqmswzq/SqueakJS_Seaside2.6.png

Cool! :) The black background might be a gradient?

Btw for experimenting, the Lively version is much nicer. If you run it in Chrome, you can simply drop any image from your local disc into it. It gets stored locally, not uploaded to the server, even if you run it directly from

	http://lively-web.org/users/bert/squeak.html

> This is a 3.8 image with Seaside 2.6. It complains that it cannot find the sources, which I think would be easy to fix. It's not using the sources I put in the directory with the image. There is a primitive fail with NetNameResolver as the picture shows in the debugger. I thought I might run the image in one window with SqueakJS and then see SushiStore in another window at http://localhost:8822/seaside/store. I only spent fifteen minutes playing with this, but this looks like some kind of hosting revolution in early stages.
>
> Chris

There is no networking support at all yet. It should be possible to implement SocketPlugin using WebSockets. But that is for client-side sockets only, it cannot create a listener port. Also, it's going to be limited by the browser's same-origin policy. WebRTC can do peer-to-peer (*), but I don't think it could be used to emulate a general server socket.

- Bert -

(*) https://github.com/PeerServer/peer-server