[Vm-dev] SIZEOF_VOID_P 8 and mprotect

gettimothy gettimothy at zoho.com
Wed Jul 9 18:56:59 UTC 2014

Hi All.

Don't spend brain cycles on this, but I want to mention it in passing.

I am working out integrating Ian's configuration approach into the CMakeVMakerSqueak and ran into this interesting thing.

Ian's code on my system will detect the SIZEOF_ stuff on my system

#define SIZEOF_INT 4

#define SIZEOF_LONG 8
#define SIZEOF_LONG_LONG 8
#define SIZEOF_VOID_P 8

When I go to run the cog, I get this error.

mprotect(x,y,PROT_READ | PROT_WRITE | PROT_EXEC): Cannot allocate memory
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Changing SIZEOF_VOID_P to 4 makes that problem go away and the image launches.

I am thinking I am going to throw a conditional in the configuration such that if it is a 64 bit system with 32 bit libs, to work around this.

I mention this in passing in case there is a "magic"
#define mprotect_will_just_work 1

flag or something.

cordially,

tty