[Vm-dev] What is the term for vm-display-null, vm-sound-ALSA etc??

gettimothy gettimothy at zoho.com
Thu Jul 17 20:52:16 UTC 2014

Hi Eliot.

thx for the reply.

The goal I am pursing is a consistent mapping of terms from the metal to the smalltalk level. If something is 'turtles' then I want it to be 'turtles' all the way down the chain.

Looking at platforms/unix/vm/SqModule.h, which declares the metaprotocol of these things, arg parsing, help, launch, etc, it's clear these things are VM modules, which is different from plugins.  But you might ask Ian Piumarta directly.

Ian handles them in his CMake script with the term plugins_vm per this code in trunk/platforms/unix/cmake/Plugins.cmake

MACRO (CONFIGURE_PLUGINS)
   CONFIGURE_PLUGIN_LIST (plugins_int)
   CONFIGURE_PLUGIN_LIST (plugins_ext)
   CONFIGURE_PLUGIN_LIST (plugins_vm)
ENDMACRO (CONFIGURE_PLUGINS)

I prefer the term VMModules as that reflects the heuristics you use; I am ok with pluginsVM too as that mimics Ian's code. I will be replacing the term vmDrivers tomorrow when I can pry my eyes back open.

thx again.

t.