[Vm-dev] VM Maker: VMMaker-dtl.348.mcz

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Sun Jul 20 18:11:35 UTC 2014

Morning, David.

On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 9:04 AM, <commits at source.squeak.org> wrote:

> David T. Lewis uploaded a new version of VMMaker to project VM Maker:
> http://source.squeak.org/VMMaker/VMMaker-dtl.348.mcz

> Name: VMMaker-dtl.348
> Author: dtl
> Time: 20 July 2014, 11:57:32.241 am
> UUID: 869e87ed-0476-48a8-bca8-fe779633f9ae
> Ancestors: VMMaker-dtl.347
>
> VMMaker 4.13.6
> Merge VMMaker.oscog-eem.826 except:
> - Do not add the #initialize methods, not required because variables are
> declared static, therefore guaranteed to be initialized to 0. Also would
> require code generator changes for special treatment of instance side
> #initialize..

David, the #initialize methods /are/ needed. If one were to simulate this
plugin (which vm developers /do/ do; none of the Cog VMs would exist
without it) then the #initialize methods are required to initialize those
variables to 0, not nil.

> - Do not ^self unnecessarily, not required here and code generated changes
> would be needed.

Could you give me the instances?  I'm fairly sure I wouldn't have added a
^self if it wasn't needed.  Maybe I mad a mistake?

--
aloha,
Eliot