[Vm-dev] Re: can't start Squeak on one Ubuntu system anymore

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Jun 4 07:36:46 UTC 2014

> If I hadn't had access to the working laptop, I don't know what I
> would have done.  Hopefully we'll be able to improve Squeak's
> accessibility someday..

Doesn't get much easier than

      apt-get install squeak-vm

If that doesn't work, file a bug report.

That won't get you Cog at the moment. But it could, if someone put in the effort.

Tim's new Scratch release would be a fine incentive if it was packaged to require either a Cog or Stack VM. This worked for Etoys, which I packaged to require a Squeak VM package. That's why a Squeak VM is now in every major Linux distro.

Of course, that plan would require to get two new packages into all distros, which isn't exactly easy. Another plan would be to package the interpreter and cog in a single source package and just call that the new release. Then this would be picked up almost automatically by the distro maintainers.

Long-term this might even be the better plan because then the user wouldn't have to worry which VM to use for which image. We might even be able to consolidate the VMs into a single executable which chooses a pluggable execution engine and object memory at runtime.

So, basically this just requires some effort on making nice source packages for distro maintainers. David and lately tty have been working towards that, and maybe someone else can join in (and be it just testing and commenting in what they produce).

- Bert -