[Vm-dev] sqPluginsSCCSVersion.h (was: [commit][2953] In sqFileOpen() ensure that Mac file characteristics are set only when a new file is created)

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 17:02:16 UTC 2014

Hu David,

On Jun 7, 2014, at 9:45 AM, "David T. Lewis" <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 06, 2014 at 05:50:50PM -0700, Eliot Miranda wrote:
>>
>> Hi VM folks.
>>
>>    when you check-in a change to platforms/Cross/plugins try and remember
>> to update  platforms/Cross/plugins/sqPluginsSCCSVersion.h too to reflect
>> the change in the version info displayed by the VM.  You do this using the
>> horrible
>>
>> svn propset checkindate "`date`"
>> platforms/Cross/plugins/sqPluginsSCCSVersion.h
>>
>> An example of this is in the scripts/svnci script:
>> svn propset checkindate "`date`" platforms/Cross/vm/sqSCCSVersion.h
>>
>> When you do this the Cog VMs accurately inform you of their version:
>>
>> ~/oscogvm/products/coglinuxht/squeak -version
>
> Just checking:
>
> The trunk and oscog branches both contain platforms/Cross/plugins/sqPluginsSCCSVersion.h.
> They are identical, and neither is being actively updated (two revisions
> total since creation).

There's only one.  In the Cog branch both platforms/Cross/plugins and  platforms/win32/plugins are external references to trunk's :-).

> The comment says:
>
> * A set of definitions for C source code control systems, to provide accurate
> * and definitive version information to the VM.  This file identifies the
> * platform plugin code, which is shared between Cog and the trunk interpreter.
> * It is included by platforms/Cross/vm/sqSCCSVersion.h.
>
> The oscog branch contains a platforms/Cross/vm/sqSCCSVersion.h, but the trunk
> does not. In the oscog branch the file in Cross/vm (not Cross/plugins) is being
> actively updated, but no such file exists in SVN trunk, and no update is being
> done. The Cross/plugins/sqSCCSVersion.h in SVN trunk is not currently used by
> VMMaker trunk, nor is it used by the CMake build process.

When and if you see fit we can add it to trunk.  The pain is that I haven't found a way of automating the metadata update beyond having a script that combines it with the checkin.

> I do not see anything further that should have been done in SVN trunk at
> this point. Is that right?

Yes that's right.  So far Cog only uses the sqPluginsSCCSVersion.h file and it takes little effort on my part to update the metadata with a second checkin as I did yesterday.  My message was more about pointing out the info was there.

> Thanks
> Dave

Cheers!
Eliot (phone)