[Vm-dev] FFIPlugin ThreadedFFIPlugin which one for builds?

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 17:32:01 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 7:41 AM, gettimothy <gettimothy at zoho.com> wrote:

> Hi Eliot.
>
> I searched my emails for those terms and did not find them. I hope I am
> not re-asking a question you answered earlier.
>
> In plugins.ext for build.linux is SqueakFFIPrims. I need to load the
> Smalltalk class for CMake. This is determined by the class that answers
> 'SqueakFFIPrims' to the message moduleName
>

> |s|
> Transcript clear.
> InterpreterPlugin allSubclassesDo:[:p|
>       p moduleName = 'SqueakFFIPrims'
>             ifTrue:[Transcript show:p name;cr]].
>

> Both FFIPlugin and ThreadedFFIPlugin answer SqueakFFIPrims when sent the
> message moduleName
>

> Does the processor type determine which to use?

Use  ThreadedFFIPlugin.  The FFIPlugin is obsolete (it requires assembler
support files, and is non-reentrant).  This should generate in
src/plugins/SqueakFFIPrims/{SqueakFFIPrims.c,ARM32FFIPlugin.c,IA32FFIPlugin.c}
and you should compile only
src/plugins/SqueakFFIPrims/SqueakFFIPrims.c.
src/plugins/SqueakFFIPrims/SqueakFFIPrims.c
is a simple wrapper that includes ARM32FFIPlugin.c or IA32FFIPlugin.c as
appropriate (and others can be added as they are developed).

--
best,
Eliot