[Vm-dev] tty's hypothesis on configH in CMakeVMMaker

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 23:49:21 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 4:38 PM, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 16 June 2014 18:31, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 3:33 AM, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Yes, config.h is a leftover of old make process which i had to port over
>>> to cmake build process without need to do big changes in source code.
>>> I am strong opponent of idea that configuration variables shall
>>> automatically , dynamically and implicitly change depending on where you
>>> compiling the code. Configuration , as a whole can change, but not its
>>> variables.
>>> They must be defined once and stay same regardless of building
>>> environment.
>>>
>>> That gives you a better chances that software which you successfully
>>> built using same configuration will work identically no matter who or where
>>> is built it.
>>> And sure thing, for having variations, you can define own configuration
>>> e.g. MyVMWith(orWithout)UUID
>>> and use it to compile VM with that flag changed.
>>> But as i say, key here that this flag is set by your hand once and
>>> forever, not by some pre-build configure script which depends on where it
>>> runs on.
>>>

>> Depends what you're talking about.  In this case some linuxes have
>> /usr/include/uuid.h and a program called uuidgen, others have
>> /usr/include/uuid/uuid.h and a program called uuidgenerate (let alone other
>> unixes).  IMO it is not the business of a VM source generation pass to
>> decide this.  It is a compile-time configuration pass.
>>
>> My take on it goes from following:
>
> you make two configuration - one which uses
> /usr/include/uuid/uuid.h
> another which uses
> /usr/include/uuid.h

that way leads to generating the VM immediately before one builds, and
that's a very bad direction because it goes against any repeatable build
process that records the C source, that allows debugging older VMs etc.  I
disagree.

> and when you building VM you always know which one you build and which one
> works...
> in contrast to situation when you have like 50+ automagically resolved
> flags &  dependencies, so you don't even know what module is included into
> final artifact without checking it by hand.

No, its not magic.  Its autoconf/CMake.  There's good reason to expect the
maintainers of autoconf and CMake to do a better job detecting and deciding
on the right platform make files for a given unix than the Pharo/Squeak
community.  i.e. thousands of unix programs, many of them critical
infrastructure such as apache were built using autoconf and are buult using
CMake.  Your approach complicates the lives of people trying to port to
unusual unix platforms such as Open Solaris, FreeBSD etc.  I don't see the
point of forcing people through the VM generation step just to manually do
a configuration their platform tools will do for them.

Because when i want to build VM which includes/uses feature X, it should
> include X, not X' or Y, (or even worse - automatically ignore it because
> it's not avail on your system).
> Because if feature cannot be strictly guaranteed, i prefer to see the
> build process to simply abort reporting failure.. instead of behave fuzzily
> & be smart and nicely trying to guess best possible combination of bells &
> whistles to build on current platform.. it is wrong place for being smart.
>
> The approach of having lots of configurations determined at VM source
>> generation time leads to VM source which becomes obsolete, is inflexible,
>> is duplicated.  There needs to be a sensible split.  VM generation time is
>> not the time to choose things like sets of plugins, particular include file
>> locations.  IMO it should only produce a full suite of source.  A build
>> directory is the place to decide what plugins to choose etc, allowing
>> special configurations for special uses (an embedded device vs a desktop
>> OS, etc).  Compile time configuration is the time to choose include files,
>> library names etc, etc.
>>

> does it really matters at which point you decide how to configure build?

Yes.

> what matters that you will always would want to configure it.. and you
> always would want to spend as little as possible time on it.. and having
> things easy and convenient to configure or modify.
> And what can be better place to configure things than smalltalk
> environment? :)

Seriously?  You think Sueak/Pharo is better connected to unix platform
libraries than autoconf/CMake?  We can't even do symlinks properly yet.

Perusing classes & methods, or perusing files in numerous (sub)directories

--
best,
Eliot