[Vm-dev] Eliot, what names do you want for executable name?

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 16:40:42 UTC 2014

Hi Timothy,

On Jun 18, 2014, at 7:40 AM, gettimothy <gettimothy at zoho.com> wrote:

> Hi Eliot.
>
> In CmakeVMaker they have a covention like this:
>
> ^'CogVM'
> ^ 'CogMTVM'
> ^ 'EventVM'.
> ^'iStackVMSimulator'
> ^ 'iStackVM'
> ^'Squeak'
> ^ 'StackVM'
>

> Do you have a naming standard for the executable?

I have a naming scheme.  "Satandard" is too strong a word ;-).  The split I have is between Newspeak and Squeak.  Rather than describe the innards the name tells the user what kind of image they can run.  While I can see there is a need for someone to choose between a stack, cog, stack spur, cog spur, etc VM, I hope that things will be simpler for users and there will just be a Squeak.app all-in-one or Pharo all-in-one containing the fastest VMs for a release.  For example in the Cig builds all variants of VM compile to a Squeak (Mac) Squeak.exe or SqueakConsole.exe (win32) or squeak (Linux) executable.

 The newspeak vms go in the other direction with platform installers for Mac and windoze and a Tarbell for linuxes (there being too many install formats for Linux to contemplate building platform installers).

For implemented comparing vms SqueakCog.app SqueakStackSpur.app et al may make sense but for new users Squeak.app is far less confusing no?

> thx.
>
> tty

Eliot (phone)