[Vm-dev] Re: Cog Spur Linux pthread error?

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 21:24:30 UTC 2014

On 22 June 2014 19:40, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 21 June 2014 19:06, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Frank,
>>
>>     (Bob, thanks for your reply).
>>

>> On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 2:39 PM, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Eliot,
>>>
>>> I thought I'd take a stab at setting up a CI job for Spur VM+Image,
>>> and after futzing around with filenames, got an actual execution of
>>> the VM. And then things broke. The full output's here:
>>>
>>>     http://build.squeak.org/job/SqueakTrunkOnSpur/6/console
>>>
>>> but the error itself is this:
>>>
>>>     pthread_setschedparam failed; consider using ITIMER_HEARTBEAT:
>>> Operation not permitted
>>>
>>> and the process exited with status 22.
>>>
>>> Is this a simple thing to fix? Any idea what hoops I need to jump
>>> through to work around the problem?
>>

>> So this is always described in the README on my website, see e.g.
>> http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r3006/README.3006.  I *could*
>> put checks in the VM that saw if the kernel was >- 2.6.13 and whether
>> /etc/security/limits.d/VM.conf existed and issue a more helpful error
>> message.  But this is work and I feel like the README should be sufficient.
>> What do y'all think?
>
> I should have read the readme.
>
> I do have an additional newbie question though: the readme says "log
> out and back in again", which is fine for a user. In my case I'm not a
> user, I'm a Jenkins service. I thought the equivalent would be
> "restart Jenkins", which I did, and has apparently been insufficient.
> Anyhow, _as a user_ I can now run cogspur on build.squeak.org. I'll
> fight with Jenkins a bit more and see if I can get _Jenkins_ to do so.

Ah, silly me. Of course, what you need is a process restart, which
means stopping the service, and starting it again. So now we have a
running Cog Spur! It's also showing something interesting, in the form
of a segfault at
http://build.squeak.org/job/SqueakTrunkOnSpur/12/console:

Smalltalk stack dump:
0xbf8e1ad4 M [] in AllocationTest>testOutOfMemorySignal 0x77615df8:
a(n) AllocationTest
0xbf8e1b10 I Interval>collect: 0x776c2a28: a(n) Interval
0xbf8e1b30 M [] in AllocationTest>testOutOfMemorySignal 0x77615df8:
a(n) AllocationTest

frank