[Vm-dev] New Cog VMs available

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 16:48:06 UTC 2014

Thanks Ryan, Thanks Henrik,

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 1:17 AM, Henrik Johansen <
henrik.s.johansen at veloxit.no> wrote:

> On 26 Jun 2014, at 8:05 , Ryan Macnak <rmacnak at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> With appropriate settings [1], one can get 3GB on Windows. (I haven't
> tested this on Cog but once upon time used it in another project.) I don't
> know if this extra GB is worth it to anyone; given the other platforms
> provide above 2GB hopefully the bugs related to signed versus unsigned
> comparisons are already flushed out.
>
> [1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb613473(v=VS.85).aspx
>

> For that, you’d also need a binary with the Large Address Aware bit set in
> the COFF-header, which the released binary does not have.
> It’s basically just a checkbox that yes, I assure you my application only
> treats addresses as unsigned, so please hand me more than 2GB of memory.
> Which is also the way to get >2GB with 32bit executables on 64-bit Windows
> as well, so it might be worthwhile finding the proper compiler flag.

I found this:

"It depends on your toolchain.

If you are using cygwin, i don't know.
But for Mingw, a quick google for "LARGEADDRESSAWARE gnu ld"
turns up "--large-address-aware". You have to pass it down to ld through
gcc by
'-Wl,--large-address-aware'.
That is if you are using mingw with gnu ld.
But beware, this is still 32-Bit, so somewhere below 4GB (3GB?) is you max..
Win64 support is still unfinished AFAIK (or in the latest and greatest CVS
snapshots + still itchy).

> Thank you in advance.

Greetings
        Jan"