[Vm-dev] Has anyone built the Squeak VM with clang on Mac OS yet?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Mar 8 22:55:25 UTC 2014

On Sat, Mar 08, 2014 at 10:46:47PM +0100, Tobias Pape wrote:

> On 08.03.2014, at 01:07, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:

> >> This branch greats you with an ?I AM OBSOLETE? error when you try to build it?
> >>

> > That seems odd. I do not see the string 'I AM OBSOLETE' anywhere in the Subversion
> > trunk platforms source tree. Can you say where the message comes from?
>
> It is hard coded
>
> ~/dev/SqueakVMMaker/platforms/Mac OS % egrep -R '#\ ?error' *
>
> vm/sqMacMain.c:#error Hi, you are building an obsolete version of the macintosh VM.
> vm/sqMacMain.c:#error Instead use the xCode projects found in the iOS folder
> vm/sqMacMain.c:#error Remove these error defines if you really need to build this obsolete 4.x VM

Ah, I see it now. John added the warning here:

  Revision 2287 - (view) (annotate) - [select for diffs]
  Modified Tue Sep 7 19:35:46 2010 UTC (3 years, 6 months ago) by johnmci
  File length: 33212 byte(s)
  Diff to previous 2213

  Mac Carbon VM, #error if you build the 4.x VM so have to read the warnings...

Apparently John wanted to make sure you are aware that you are working on the
old code base, and you are supposed to delete those three lines if you actually
do want to to build a Mac Carbon VM.

I think in this case that it really would be worthwhile if someone could do a fresh
build of the Mac Carbon VM using the latest VMMaker. If I understand correctly,
there are people with older Macs who need to use a Mac Carbon VM, and they would
benefit from a fresh build because it would allow them to run the newer Cog 6505
image format. Right now, we are still going through the exercise of saving Squeak
release images in 6504 format using an interpreter VM in order to make it useable
on those older Macs. It would be nice to get rid of that annoyance once and for all.