[Vm-dev] Re: [Pharo-dev] 32 bits and 64 bits VM

gettimothy gettimothy at zoho.com
Sat May 17 11:24:28 UTC 2014

Hi Eliot

 No. That's not the point of Spur. The point of Spur is to provide a faster, more flexible GC, with a lot of shared code between the 32-bit and 64-bit memory managers. This results i a 32-bit image over a a 32-bit executable with a 32-bit FFI and a 64-bit image (with SmallFloat) over a 64-bit executable with a 64-bit FFI. I'm not interested in producing e.g. a 32-bit image over a 64-bit executable with a 64-bit FFI.

Thanks for the short version. I have not read most of the Cog/Spur stuff on your blog yet, I will do so during the Stack Interpreter port project. Following the mailing list threads, I have seen some fervent discussions over FFI.

I see no point in porting the STackInterpreter to 64x32. You should target directly 64x64 Spur.

Cool. I am sooooo looking forward to the day when I can ditch this 32 bit compat partition and boot directly to native 64 and develop Squeak there.

 I hope I've helped too :-)

Absolutely!

Thanks.

tty