[Vm-dev] [Squeak 0007821]: Make generated interpreter code compatible with Plan9's POSIX C compiler

Alex Franchuk alex.franchuk at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 16:36:06 UTC 2014

On 10/02/2014 10:44 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 02.10.2014, at 16:05, Alex Franchuk <alex.franchuk at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The changes were:
>> 1. Fix a couple incorrect/faulty C type declarations for certain methods and scoped variables within the methods.
>> 2. Ensure functions which declare a return type will return some value at the end of the block (defaulting to null).
>> 3. Ensure assignments are properly casted when type data about the expression and variable is available.
>> 4. Ensure functions arguments are properly casted when type data about the function's parameters and the argument expressions is available.
> That sounds rather useful. I need better type information, too.
>
> E.g., I'd like to know that firstIndexableField() is really an 'unsigned char *' here, not a 'void *' as declared:
>
> unsafeByteOf: bytesOop at: ix
> 	"Argument bytesOop must not be aSmallInteger!"
> 	<inline: true>
> 	| pointer |
> 	<var: #pointer type: #'unsigned char *'>
> 	^(pointer := interpreterProxy firstIndexableField: bytesOop) at: ix - 1
>
> I thought I could use the scopeStack but that appears to not be available when generating code ...
>
> - Bert -

Right now the type data is only obtained by using the typeOfVariable
method of the CCodeGeneration instance, or the arguments property of the
TMethod instance, and unfortunately these return both the type and the
name of variable, as if it were a declaration, so my code tries to get
the type from this (it may not always work).

Ideally typeOfVariable would return only the type, and perhaps a new
method like declarationOfVariable would return what typeOfVariable
currently returns. That would be more reliable, and scoped variables
could perhaps be tracked through the CCodeGeneration instance.