[Vm-dev] compiling the stack VM with LLVM at -Ofast

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 16:28:24 UTC 2014

Hi John,

On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 9:39 PM, John McIntosh <
johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com> wrote:

> Due to attending the Vancouver Island Camp Smalltalk 2014, I spent a few
> hours (ok many) being motivated, and trying to compile a 2009 era stack VM
> with LLVM optimization fully on.

Why??  Why are you not trying to compile a 2014 version, e.g. in
http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog/stacksrc?  That's over five
years old.

> I can say that part is mostly completed, but I need some help
> understanding how to bring the VM source up to date (without GCC) so that I
> can see how best to tackle a few remaining issues. Mostly focusing around
> something odd in the LargeInteger Plugin.

The up-to-date code is in svn.
Alternatively you can build an up-to-date VMMaker image following the
instructions in
http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog/image/buildspurtrunkvmmakerimage.sh
and/or
http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog/image/buildsqueaktrunkvmmakerimage.sh