[Vm-dev] Squeak socket problem ... help!

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Oct 11 22:18:47 UTC 2014

On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 01:15:21PM +0200, G?ran Krampe wrote:

> On 10/10/2014 11:46 AM, G?ran Krampe wrote:
> >Hi guys!
> >
> >Long post but an interesting one. Summary for the impatient:
> >
> >- Ron seems to prove that:
> >     - We never reach 1024 fds so no leak.
> >     - But select() still fails, so we probably have an obscure close()
> >bug with fds.
> >
> >- And I prove that select() is indeed broken above 1024.
>
> Aha!
>
> It seems Ragnar Hojland Espinosa has already fixed this 11 years ago:
>
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2003-May/057750.html

I entered Mantis 7822: "Unix aio VM support for 1024+ descriptors" to track
this issue:

  http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7822

> I also found code from David Shaffer that fixes the listening to not
> miss stuff, also interesting:
>
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2005-August/093575.html
>
> ...and the patch he mentions:
>
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2005-August/093638.html

I entered Mantis 7823: "Patch for socket accept problem on unix VM" to track
this issue:

  http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7823

Both of these issues will require some follow up work in order to get them
included in the VMs. If further progress is made, please keep the Mantis issues
updated and/or report progress to the vm-dev list.