[Vm-dev] VM porting help: ioShowDisplay always called with empty (all 0's) buffer

Alex Franchuk alex.franchuk at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 00:30:06 UTC 2014

Hey all,

I'm in the process of porting Squeak to Plan9, but for some reason when
ioShowDisplay is called, its buffer is all 0's, resulting in a black box
to be drawn where the Squeak environment ought to be! The system is
i386, and is not 100% POSIX, but has enough ANSI things to compile the
VM with relatively little pain.

Does anyone have advice about why this might happen, or some insight
into where to look for the cause?

I've tried to look at the Unix implementation where appropriate, but it
seems I'm performing similar logic for most of the platform functions.
Mind you, Unix and Plan9 are quite a bit different.

Thanks,
Alex