[Vm-dev] Re: [squeak-dev] Image Segment semantics and weakness

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 02:01:06 UTC 2014

On Sun, Oct 19, 2014 at 6:14 PM, Andres Valloud <
avalloud at smalltalk.comcastbiz.net> wrote:

> Are you saying that, for the purpose of tracing, the segment roots behave
> like ephemeron key slots?

Yes, that's a nice way of looking at it.  But I'm not saying that.  That's
how image segments work.  The way they're implemented makes this clear.  To
construct the set of objects in the segment the system
- starts off with all objects unmarked
- marks the segment roots
- marks the system, starting from the system roots

At the end of this process, unmarked objects reachable from the segment
roots are only accessible from the system roots and are included in the set.

--
best,
Eliot