[Vm-dev] Re: [squeak-dev] Image Segment semantics and weakness

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 01:55:38 UTC 2014

Just a quick note I would like to share....
For my PhD, I did investigate ImageSegment very very deeply:

http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2076323
http://www.slideshare.net/MarianoMartinezPeck/2010-smalltalkspeckobject-swapping

I didn't want to write Fuel just because. I took quite a lot of time to
understand how ImageSegment primitives worked. From that effort, I remember
a few conclusions:

1) I found only few users of ImageSegment
2) The few users I found, were NOT using the real purpose of ImageSegment,
that is, object swapping. It was used instead as an object serializer. For
that, they use #writeForExportOn: which ended up using SmartRefStream for
the rest of the objects.
3) I noticed I could achieve the same performance or even better with an OO
serializer built at the language side, with all the benefits this means. Of
course, having Cog helped here....

In the Fuel paper:
http://rmod.lille.inria.fr/archives/papers/Dias12a-SPE-Fuel.pdf
you can find some benchmark comparison agains IS. Also in my PhD:
http://rmod.lille.inria.fr/archives/phd/PhD-2012-Martinez-Peck.pdf

Cheers,

--
Mariano