[Vm-dev] Retina resolution?

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Mon Oct 27 08:45:01 UTC 2014

Hi,

On 26.10.2014, at 22:07, Bernhard Pieber <bernhard at pieber.com> wrote:

> Dear VM machininsts,
>
> I have a new MacBook with Retina dispay with a resolution of 2560 x 1600. However, with the latest Cog VM 3114 I only get a quarter of that (1280 at 800). I am on OS X 10.10. Is there a way to configure the VM to get the full resolution or is a VM change needed for that?

There are VM changes needed.
In the way the current Cog VMs are built by Eliot,
it is impossible to support the retina resolution
(because it uses the Carbon way of doing things).
  The so-called “iOS VMs” (ie, the iOS folder of
the platform dependent VM files/plugins) are
Cocoa based and can be used for either OS X or
iOS. There it would be possible. I already tried
but it was complicated and I got distracted.
AFAIK the way the Pharo folks build the VM
(ie, https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-vm/)
can be used to generate a Coca-based Cog VM.
YMMV.

HTH

Best
	-Tobias